How great it is to live in an age where you can get groceries and hot meals delivered right to your doorstep with the click of a button? Food delivery apps like Doordash and Seamless allow for you to order from a wider range of restaurants and across a wider distance range than most restaurants may organically offer.
When you choose your food delivery app, consider the following:
- Delivery fees: Most apps require a standard delivery fee, but some apps leave the fees to the individual restaurants you choose to order from. Note that some food delivery apps will also charge an extra service fee if you end up ordering from from a non-partner restaurant.
- Order minimum: Restaurants are typically in charge of the order minimum, but sometimes apps set their own minimum and charge you an additional fee if your order value doesn’t meet the minimum.
- Accepted payment methods: Of course, most food delivery apps will accept major credit and debit cards, but some even accept Paypal or cash.
- User interface: Food delivery apps are meant for convenience and should aim to create a seamless shopping experience. Look for apps that let you search and browse with filters like menu price, food item, and user ratings. Some apps even let you track your orders in real time.
- Work practices: Whether you’re a customer or a driver, it’s important to know that the person handling your food is being treated well by their employers.
Here are the some of the food delivery apps that we recommend , including the cheapest food delivery apps and the best apps for food service.
If you’re new to food delivery apps, DoorDash is a great choice for beginners. Once you enter your address or zip code, DoorDash will load up all participating restaurants in your area, and even provide an approximate wait time before you even click onto the restaurant. To help narrow down your search, you can filter results such as restaurant star ratings, restaurants that allow for pickup, vegetarian food, and menu price. Also, the app often offers a special deal for first-time users, like free delivery or 20% off your first order.
Since delivery rates can depend on restaurant pricing, sales tax, and extra fees, there’s some debate on which food delivery app is cheapest. However, a Marketwatch study compared identical orders on a few food delivery apps and found that Uber Eats was among the cheapest. In that particular case, Uber Eats’ delivery fee is $1.49 compared to delivery fees up to $6.49. And unlike other apps, Uber Eats doesn’t require a small cart fee if your order doesn’t meet a certain minimum. Right now, Uber Eats is offering $0 delivery fees for all local restaurants to help support restaurateurs.
Seamless is great at taking customer feedback and updating its app to reflect consumer demand. For instance, Seamless changed its service to accept cash and Paypal after customers complained about the payment policy. The app also features popular cuisines on the homepage as well as search for the exact food that you’re craving. Take note that some reviewers say that the app has flaws and isn’t the easiest to use at times, but users also report that”customer service is top notch.” Seamless also almost always has great deals like $12 off your order.
Around since 2004, Grubhub knows a thing or two about good food delivery service. While you can order food to delivered immediately, you can also place an order up to four days in advance if you have a special meeting coming up. You can even save your order, making future orders super easy and convenient. The brand says it doesn’t charge delivery fees; instead, fees are set by each restaurant. This often makes Grubhub one of the more affordable options on the market.
While most food delivery apps work with local restaurants and stores, Goldbelly is unique in that it delivers gourmet foods from across the country. If you want Shake Shack and don’t have it in your town, you can have arrive at your door — just note that deliveries can take anywhere from three to five days, depending on the order and distance. Orders can arrive either pre-made with most ingredients, or completely ready to eat.
With Fresh Direct, shoppers can order groceries, frozen foods, alcohol, and cleaning supplies. You can even shop prepared foods with their Meal Delivery feature, without the hassle of a subscription. Customers can shop meal kits with easy-to-follow recipes and chef-prepared entrees, sides, and desserts, and there are dishes suited for special diets too. With the app, you can check available timeslots to schedule a delivery and shop from previous orders or shopping lists for a faster checkout.